View Single Post
Old 2008-01-12, 01:55   Link #313
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I liked the way the guard was really baffled by the concepts of trading salt-fur-wheat-etc
The guard seemed baffled at the idea of trading in general, to my eyes. Sort of a "Wait, you drive around the country selling or bartering stuff to people in small towns, never settling down anywhere? What sort of idiot are you?" kind of reaction.

It is interesting that all the things Lawrence mentions trading are all the sort of things a wagon-bound trader would likely carry: salt is a general purpose preservative and seasoning, doesn't go bad no matter how long you keep it, and it always in demand in this level of society. Furs are common trading stock, useful for clothing, and depending on their quality they can be worth a decent amount of money. Also non-perishable, when properly treated. And wheat, probably his weakest trade item, but as a special type that can endure both warm and cold temperatures it's worth having. So long as it's kept out of the weather, it can likely last quite some time as well.

That just came to mind looking at the picture of Horo pointing out the apples to him. I don't think any sort of non-dried fruit would be that good of a trading stock for him, simply because they would go bad in a relatively short time. Apples are probably better for that than some fruit, but still not the sort of thing a slow-moving trader would probably want to carry.

(if anyone has any corrections to what I said, feel free to speak up... I was just posting things I "know" which means they're really just things I THINK I know... The posibility of me being wrong does exist.)
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote