View Single Post
Old 2012-10-30, 08:37   Link #23
willx
Nyaaan~~

I don't recall whether this quote I'm paraphrasing first originated elsewhere, but if it's an Oatmeal original, he has it down pretty pat. His context was religion but I think it fits the fact pattern we currently know to be true about our existence .. which is:

Quote:
"Does it help you cope with the fact that you are a bag of meat, sitting on a rock, in outer space and that someday you will die and you are completely powerless, helpless, insignificant in the wake of this beautiful cosmic shitstorm we call existence?" - http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion
That said .. I'm not sure I need anything to justify my existence. Nihilism suggests that life is without objective meaning.. but what then if the "living" of life is in and of itself meaningful? This "fact pattern" that I assert above is also only what we know based on our current body of knowledge.

What if we discover a metaphysical plane of existence? What if we discover parallel universes and parallel lives? What if we can predict the "butterfly effect" of all of our actions and their impact on future events? What if .. a life is valuable because it is fleeting (part of the beauty of cherry blossoms is that they don't last) and we develop anti-aging and immortality serum? Come on folks.. Even based on what we know and what else there is to learn to know..

LIFE IS EPIC!

willx is offline   Reply With Quote