View Single Post
Old 2015-03-19, 22:08   Link #3597
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDragonman View Post
So do you guys think that Madoka's decision at the end of the series worked well enough in the context of the story?
Yes, absolutely.

I'm honestly amazed how anybody can consider the ending of the TV series an ass-pull. Wishes are a central element of the narrative. There is no clear-cut limitations placed on the wishes (in sharp contrast to many other wish systems in fiction). Various character's wishes, and the reasoning behind them, is discussed in considerable detail. This is not some minor plot device or plot element that is briefly discussed only to conveniently be brought up again in the finale. It is at the very core of the narrative, and the narrative never lets you forget about it.

To complain about Madoka resolving the plot with a well-worded wish is like complaining about Dr. Who or Marty McFly resolving the plot with a particularly clever use of time travel.

Quote:
It especially flies in the face of everything previous when good intentions always lead to bad outcomes.
This is completely false. Good intentions sometimes lead to good outcomes during the airing of the TV series. Many people were successfully rescued from witches during the airing of the TV series - Such as a woman that Mami rescued in Episode 2, and all the people that Sayaka rescued in Episode 4. There's no indication, at least none that I can recall, that anything bad ever happened to these rescued people.

Sayaka's wish did in fact heal Kyousuke's hand, no strings attached. No monkey's paw. That alone ought to have made it clear that Kyubey was in fact being reasonably fair in the wishes he was selling here. Kyouko's wish result might seem like a monkey's paw, but honestly, how else could her wish be granted except through mental manipulation of one type or another? Her wish basically necessitated mind control.

Also, even Homura herself admitted to the genuinely miraculous nature of Kyubey's wishes.

Quote:
This is why Rebellion exists--even though I hate that film it at least is somewhat consistent with the series' thematic intentions. "
Whether or not the Rebellion ending constitutes a "bad outcome" is a matter of considerable debate. While I myself am inclined to think it isn't a good outcome, many other viewers feel otherwise, and Gen admittedly does leave enough wiggle room for viewers to see "happy end" here if they really want to.

Those who think that Madoka Magica is just some dark nihilistic tripe are (thankfully) wrong.