Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-23, 21:36   Link #1217
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

What bugs me about this story is that they introduced this wonderful character by the name of Arata and then threw him in the corner somewhere collecting dust. I like his humble background. It's kind of hard to follow a story where my favorite character appears a few times in 20 eps. I would follow the story more if he has more screen time, not spot watching like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The fact that he's a social outcast is not his fault, so it doesn't constitute a flaw to his characterization. He is "perfect", or rather a heavily idealized character. He doesn't have the insecurity problems Taichi has to deal with, nor is he insensitive like Chihaya... he is, well, an idealization.

I'm not criticizing Arata's character. I'm just trying to explain why most people relate more to Taichi than Arata. Even in Japan this manga's major selling point is Taichi's inner struggle. People emphasize with this because everyone has flaws, and we all want to overcome these shortcomings and become better persons, just like him.
Make it simple. Taichi and Arata aren't on the same platform, main guy vs. side character. The story covered Taichi inside out while Arata got facade treatment. Nobody knows about Arata's insecurities or flaws because the story doesn't talk about them, not because he doesn't have them. People are more likely to feel for a character that is more developed (and that is Taichi in this case). Main characters are groomed to be loved. There's nothing unusual about it. The fanboys also identify with him more maybe because he doesn't get the girl. People talk about him being the "underdog", feeling the angst and stuff.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote