Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-26, 00:46   Link #1237
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
However I don't think Taichi is playing merely to impress Chihaya. To me the turning point for Taichi was in episode 7 when he played Karuta with Chihaya with the cards down (as Komano suggested).

In this episode Taichi realized he could beat a player that was stronger than him (Chihaya) with his own skills of memorization.

As Taichi says he has no talent for Karuta but he keeps playing even after he loses because when he actually does win it makes him happy. He's happy to win at something when he has to work at it and it isn't an automatic win.
He realises he hates losing, and decides he's not giving up. *Cue scene of Chihaya looking at Arata*
His loss was Chihaya (he gave up on her and had a girlfriend). His decision to not give up was him realising he still wants to fight for Chihaya's affection. He realises getting Chihaya's affection will bring him happiness. It wasn't about karuta.
Quote:
Of course Taichi wants to impress Chihaya by being able to compete against Arata. But I think there is an enough evidence in the series that Taichi also wants to play against Arata because he sees him as an inspiration and admires him as a Karuta player.
I disagree about Taichi admiring Arata as a karuta player. Chihaya admires Arata as a karuta player. She was analyzing his match. He was not. He even said himself he regrets not watching Arata's match. I can't remember a single scene where he'd analyzed Arata's skill or style of play at all (someone feel free to point one out for me).
Quote:
2) While Taichi did say that line he also said while part of me didn't want to see Arata here but deep down I'm celebrating that he's back.

Hence yes Taichi has conflicting emotions about Arata. He's jealous of him but he also admires him and considers him a friend.
I think the problem is that we didn't see much (if any) of their friendship. This is why it doesn't feel believable (even if the intent was that they were actually real friends).
Quote:
Even as they were children in their team match Taichi at first doesn't understand why Chihaya is trying so hard because Arata will just win for them but at one point Taichi actually grabs the right card. It's not Chihaya's approval Taichi goes for but Arata's

"look Arata I actually pulled the right card" and when Arata praises him Taichi has huge blush on his face.
The biggest problem with that scene? Taichi came off sounding like "Hey Arata, I beat you to this card". He was competing against Arata, but shocked when he saw Arata had blocked the opposition's card. This is because while Taichi was fighting against Arata, Arata was watching his back.

On a different note, someone wanted Handa-sensei's shocked face...
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote