View Single Post
Old 2012-08-28, 13:12   Link #243
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Even if i don't believe the crazy rumors born from that ANN post I do believe Okada asked for advice and she wouldn't have gotten the same advice from someone like Kawamori that seems to embrace her more over the topish tendencies.
Yeah but she specifically asked for Nagai. I think she's smart enough to see why. I think anyone is smart enough to see why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
When a writer is talking about how far she can go with something, it gives me a picture of somebody who is pushing something beyond what was intended as much as possible without breaking the idea.

This is a general problem I have with Okada's writing. She tends to have an idea and then goes too far with it. This is the sort of stupidity that creates omelette rice incidents.
Okada didn't even script that episode. Nor did she script the Yuina episodes, incidentally. In fact, besides episode 3, most of what she wrote was generally devoid of over the top stuff. I can't quote relentlessflame enough.

Quote:
Using Ano Hana as an example of her writing quality isn't going to do it for me. I take that as an idea that was conceptually great, but extremely flawed in execution. I'm sorry but I didn't appreciate the sheer over the top melodrama that concluded the show, nor did I like the most silly dramatic scenes like Yukiatsu getting caught cross dressing. This is a great example of an anime with too many Okadisms, and when I found out that Nagai's coaching is what prevented it from being even worst, then I truly feared what this might have become without his expert hands.
You mean just two? I didn't think the ending was great either but I didn't mind the cross dressing twist at all. And even if I did I still wouldn't overlook everything else that was great about that show.

And Nagai's coaching didn't prevent it from being worse. It was even there to begin with. Okada wasn't sure what to write until she listened to Nagai for advice.

And it's not like Nagai would've been better without her. If everyone thought Ano Natsu was written by Mari Okada then everyone would've probably bashed her for bringing in exhibitionism, sex crazed beach girls, drunk cat girl maids and an over the top alien invasion ending.

Quote:
As for Aquarion, I considered it to be a trash concept to begin with. But I'll stop there, that show clearly wasn't for me. I only point it out because it shows the sorts of things Okada likes to write about I feel, and this is going away from what made me like her originally, True Tears (Not that there weren't SOME Okadisms there too, but not as pronounced).
That's no different to me. But I wouldn't turn round and say she shouldn't write those things. That just reeks of elitism. It's not like we were forced to watch it or anything.

Quote:
And yes I think what she did to Lupin III was insulting. It destroyed the integrity of the storytelling by interjecting some really forced and contrived scenario to get yet another male character into a drag based upon what I see as her own personal fetish. It's a writer overwhelming the storytelling and I find that obnoxious when I felt the other talent on board in this project was quite good.
The only time I felt it was forced was when she did it to Goemon and i probably wouldn't have even thought it was forced if I didn't know she was behind it. XP

Quote:
If there is any reason I find it insulting unlike you it's because I perceive this sort of writing to amount to little more than someone trying to troll the audience and I do NOT like troll writers.
How do you know she's trying to troll us? Is it so hard to believe that maybe, just maybe she thinks those things might be entertaining to some people? Because they ARE entertaining to some people? Just because you don't like something she does, doesn't mean she's doing it on purpose to annoy you.

Last edited by Haak; 2012-08-28 at 13:42.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote