View Single Post
Old 2013-04-13, 13:04   Link #53
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I disagree. Many individual cartoons and/or anime shows are mainstream, so I don't think it's impossible for the medium as a whole to become that.

And animation is certainly no more abstract than most video games are, and video games have been mainstream for decades now.

Plus, the success of The Lord of the Rings movies really flies in the face of your argument here. I doubt most modern movie-going audiences can relate all that well to people living in a world with medieval-level tech and the sort of magic and monstrous beings that can be found in the world of LotR. And yet, the LotR movies did exceptionally well. People like abstraction and escapism from time-to-time.
Other than children's shows? I can name very few. It's still 'not done' for adults to admit to be interested in animation.

Video games have only entered mainstream recently mostly through simplified consoles like the WE and mobile devices. For the rest it's still heavily associated with geek culture. LotR is a borderline case, literary medieval fantasy is as socially acceptable as fantasy can get. Something similar happened with Star Wars which also escaped it's genre confines.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote