View Single Post
Old 2009-09-27, 21:30   Link #3530
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I'm going to make a chronological order of the relationship Between Ange and magic, so maybe it will be clear:

- A very little Ange is introduced to the secret circle of the mariage Sorciere by Maria. It isn't clear how many are the members, however you can assume that there are at least two: Maria and "Beatrice". It isn't clear how many years Ange have been part of this circle, but this is where Ange learned about magic for the first time. It isn't clear if Ange met "Beatrice" at all at this time. She was very very little so it's possible she just forgot, or that she met "Beatrice" as her true self.

- Ange talked about magic and mariage sorciere to her mother. Kyrie, being the logical and rational type, told her little child that magic and the like do not exist. When Ange told Kyrie about Sakutaro, she was also taught that Sakutaro is just a plush. Ange, as it is common at that age, at the next family meeting used that imparted knowledge from her mother to belittle Maria's fictional world. At that time Ange was expelled from mariage sorciere.

- A long time passed with Ange never thinking about magic anymore. However her life of isolation from any human contact made her get closer to the fictional world she once refused. When she was a middle schooler Ange developed the ability to make Maria "revive" by reading her diary. This imaginary Maria kept telling Ange to remember what she taught her a long time ago. Finally Ange decides to take magic seriously once more and so Ange becomes able to summon the stakes.

- Not much later Ange receives an unbearable humiliation from her classmates. Angered Ange realizes that her "friends" can do nothing to help her. So Ange can't accept that friendship anymore, once again she denies magic. While doing so, Ange remembers that time when she denied magic as a little child during a family meeting.

- 1998. After Eva's death Ange decides to find the truth about the Rokkenjima incident. For the sake of this goal Ange tries to summon the stakes again. Ange is more mature now and rather than using magic to escape from her sad life, she tries to understand what magic really is. In the end Ange manages to understand everything about magic, and that allow her to summon the stakes, Maria and Sakutaro. However she doesn't acknowledge magic to exist in her world. Ange reached a point where she can use magic without acknowledging its existence.
Okay, seeing it like this, it makes sense now. I guess I just didn't pick up on the whole thing about her denying magic back when she was little, as well. Every time the incident was referred back to, I assumed she meant the incident in the classroom. Thanks for clearing this up. I'm now finished with EP4 as well, so I've seen Ange's story through its end and now I understand.
KanonTheFurniture is offline   Reply With Quote