View Single Post
Old 2009-02-03, 06:34   Link #1910
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
I'll bite today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
However, overall it is less problematic to think of magic as a form of massive particle than massless energy. This brings up analogies of us knowing how much effort it takes to squeeze say a gas to many times atmospheric pressure (400 times, according to your requirement), and the increased requirements on containment.

I see a subtle stacking the deck setup.

Quote:
Actually, this is probably not true. You can't have the canonically observed beam of war UNLESS substantial parts of the attack are not pumped out until after emission begins - there will be no force to push it along.
Only if we play directly on the assumption you propose to treat them exclusively as particles. But there is still a way around this by treating them as a self contained particle accellerator. If we drop back and observe 'It's magic' like team Keroko would deliver in a heartbeat, it would be entirely possible that the sphrear of magic energy is combination storage and 'magic particle accellerator'. In which we then have the function that we don't even need a pump at firing time.

Still, carrying on. If you assume that nanoha has to provide a feeding pressure for beam upkeap at the same rate in which the beam is discharging, it means she has to draw in, process, and forward that energy at the rate of discharge or it will immediately drop off to her rate of feed. If she can do that, there is no point to the beam's required charge up time at all.

Quote:
If it is held in an internal capacitator, it is presumably pumped out of the capacitator through some kind of pipeline when emitted (not "fired", "fired" implies near-instantaneous release of some sort, which is not true for a beam). Please justify your idea that said pipelines will hold as peak pressures surges over the canonically shown amount due to your attempt to increase flow rate by more than an order of magnitude. Or why you think the pumps could even "move" the mana at ten times the current flow rate.
I would discard this scenario actually. The semantics I was using when I phrased the statement were merely illistrative. I would conclude that the energy is contained as per scenario 3 listed further below.

Quote:
Similar is the ignored possibility of the capacitator being in Nanoha herself. It is entirely possible the "ball" you see outside is more a "formatter" than a "prepared energy (actually energetic particles) balloon" - raw mana gets pumped out of Nanoha, into the ball where it is converted and emitted. In which case the strain is all on pipes inside the body. Please explain also, in this scenario, why you think the formatting system might not be damaged as flow goes through it at 10 times the normal rate.
I would not justify this scenario on the basis of the observations of divine busters show the energy to appear to collect in the sphere itself. Thus I would discard it and go with scenario 3.

Quote:
Finally, we'll assume the particle beam is all in the ball. Please justify why you think the ball can be induced to discharge its contents at 24 times the canonical rate.
Short answer: "Hey dumbass! CATCH!"