Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-26, 01:05   Link #2425
night_sentinel

Forgot to add table control to the list of our concluded points. I do agree with what you've said Table control does not equal flexibility. Though, if you have good table control there is a very good chance you have good flexibility.

Just to reiterate our agreed points are:

Toki's defense >= Kasumi's defense
Toki's stamina <= Kasumi's stamina (team)
Toki's speed = Kasumi's speed
Toki's firepower < Kasumi's firepower
Toki's flexibility > Kasumi's flexibility
Toki's table control > Kasumi's table control

Beside this, your post reminded me that we have not yet tackled technical skill which I will define as the player's skill without their power in the equation. Toki has a low technical skill. Before Toki's power manifested, Toki was a third string player at Senriyama.

Kasumi, on the other hand, even without taking her power into account was a great defensive player. Eisui's tactics as said by the manga was for Jindai and Hatsumi to get points and for Kasumi to focus on shutting players up in the captain match.
Thus: Toki's technical skill < Kasumi's technical skill

And at the risk of extending our debate again I would like to say sorry in advance, but I'll have to quibble with you on the overall result of Toki vs. Kasumi.

I do agree that there is an uncertainty of how many hands that Kasumi will be able to pull. But, given that Kasumi and Toki will have the same hand formation speed, then by nature of Kasumi's greater firepower she will be getting more points than Toki in 1:1 exchange. Beside that, since we assume that Toki will be calling a lot, her hand will have a lowered point value. Thus, to be able to even with Kasumi, Toki would need to win more perhaps a 2:1 or even a 3:1 ratio.

Then, we have to take account of the paradox. How exactly would it resolve will affect the Kasumi vs. Toki match-up. If we go with the first scenario, that the winning tile would just be pushed back and Kasumi will win next turn. If this is how the paradox resolves, Kasumi would sooner or later win against Toki.

But, if we go with the second scenario, that the winning tile would be shuffled in a quantum state of uncertainty and Kasumi will randomly draw another tile that is in line with her ability ( a restricted suit + honor tiles). Then, this match-up will became more even.

P.S. I was rewatching the Toki's battles again in Achiga-hen and I would like to ask if you think that Toki's one turn precognition ability is always active or she has to consciously activate it. For the purpose of this debate, we assumed that it is always active but looking at the matches there is some evidence that it isn't so.

IF we go by the time Toki's eye turn green, then Toki's ability is only active at certain points of the match and not always.

P.P.S.
That is some heroic pictures you made there. I'll post a comment after I finished my work.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote