Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-26, 13:26   Link #2433
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post

It does make me wonder, though - can you force Kasumi's hand in such a way that in an exhaustive draw situation, it is no longer even possible for no one else to draw that restricted suit? If that happens, and Kasumi for some reason purposely screws up her hand and never calls Tsumo, what would happen in the later rounds - would someone else end up drawing the suit anyway because it's no longer logically possible for her not to, or would we see weird things happening like five white dragon tiles?
I also wonder about this situation. If the game goes that far by say Kasumi purposely screwing her hand... then I do believe the other players should be able to draw the restricted suit if it is all that can be possibly drawn. The restricted suit wasn't at the dead wall as evidenced by the match, so that left only the end of live wall for their probable location. I would like to say that seeing five white dragon tiles is going to be quite impossible since most ability bend probabilities and not reality itself. But, there are a mounting body of evidence that some strong abilities do interact reality e.g. Koromo's power causing blackouts, Teru's power seems to be short circuiting the camera and it looks like Saki's power caused the hall to shake and a monocle to break .... so yeah, if Kasumi's ability is really that absolute we are going to be seeing some weird things like five white dragon tiles. Though, personally I prefer the first scenario with Kasumi's power breaking than seeing five white dragon tiles - I have a feeling that will bring a public outcry of cheating even if no one can prove it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post

Images
Why Saki is afraid of Kyouko, and why Saki resorted to +/- 0 (spoilers from chapter 90)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I would just like to add some things. Beside Kyouko and Kasumi nullifying Saki's kan, I think one of the main reason, Saki said Kyouko was troublesome was because Kyouko technically put Saki's score below zero.

Remember, Saki said that she started the round by using the mental trick that Hisa taught her back in the first chapter. So this would be the beginning score :

Saki : 25,000 - 24,000 = 1000
Kyouko : 25,000 + 8,000 = 33,000
Kasumi :25,000 + 8,000 = 33,0000
Toyone: 25,000 + 8,000 = 33,000

East 1st round

As Felyndiira said, Kyouko "accidentally" stopped Saki's kan. Kyouko called something allowing Kasumi to get the tile Saki needs and since Kasumi is a really good defender she kept it. Anyway the round ends with Kyouko ronning Toyone.

Saki : 1,000
Kyouko : 33,000 + 3,900 = 36,900
Kasumi : 33,000
Toyone: 33,000 - 3,900 = 29,100

East 2nd round

Saki is looking remarkably put out. Anyway, this round ends with Kyouko doing a tsumo. (2,000/1000)

Saki : 1,000 - 1,000 = 0
Kyouko : 36,900 + 4,000 = 40,900
Kasumi : 33,000 - 1,000 = 32,000
Toyone : 29,100 - 2,000 = 27,100

East 3rd round
I think Saki is still a bit shaken in this round. Unfortunately, this is Saki's dealership and she got hit by a ron. Ouch. And consequently if we follow her perspective, she is also below zero. Double ouch. Notably, it was Kyouko who did this by directly hitting Saki.

Saki : 0 - 2,600 = -2,600
Kyouko : 40,900 + 2,600 = 43,500
Kasumi : 32,000
Toyone: 27,100

I hypothesize that this is the time wherein Saki decides to switch out of Hisa's mental trick and go for the easier and more comfortable (for her, anyway) +/-zero route. If you check the manga page, we get Toyone and Kasumi's reaction to this win which is in the variation of easy going comments about how Kyouko seems to be rushing her win. Saki doesn't have any comment and now we know why.

East 4th round (Saki is already in the +/-zero mode)
This is Kyouko's dealership. She is once again rushing to get a quick win. But, the moment she did a riichi, Saki called a kan on Kyouko's discards and won.
Rinshan Kaihou for 8,000 points + 1,000 for the riichi stick. That was some quick revenge.

Additional comments:

I am not surprised that Hisa's mental trick didn't work. There is this tiny problem with tricks - it only works effectively if you didn't know that there is a trick involved. Since, Saki is essentially trying to trick herself, then its effectiveness would probably be reduced. In fact, I would hazard to guess that Saki doing Hisa's mental trick is more of a handicap than anything else in this match. Even when Saki first used it, it was remarked to be quite a feat to achieve. And now, with the "trick" revealed to Saki- most of its effectiveness is probably gone. It probably didn't help Saki's mental state either when it failed; ultimately causing Saki to do +/-zero as a comfort blanket.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote