View Single Post
Old 2010-09-22, 09:13   Link #31
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I just have to ask if this is all those speculative economics thingies I hear a lot about. As much as I continue to prostrate myself to Miyazaki he's essentially over the hill not just in age, and Grave was the only Takahata directed movie I think I ever really loved. The last news item I heard was that they've been cutting staff a lot, but not outright folding because given the nature of their releases I can hardly think, without financial data, that they're out of money.

What they really should have done in the last 10 or so years was get more creative talent it while they were still properly in the black. Relying solely on the skills of Miyazaki could have only gotten them so far. It worked in the 80s, 90s and the early 21st, but it seems it just isn't working anymore now.

Perhaps the new viewership of this generation can no longer click with the studio's style and approach, for (controversial?) reasons I won't dare go into, but it might not be so far to assume that in reality, Ghibli has lost most if not all relevance with the current generation and what they want in anime.

Which, for me, might be a rather sad thing in retrospect.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote