View Single Post
Old 2010-12-17, 03:42   Link #167
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Selling about 40k (or even lower) is usually a cut-line where you call it 'popular manga' and get an animation ._. I wonder why people say Medaka Box is bad.
Presumably, some of those people say it's bad because they think it's bad. I've never read Medaka Box, so I have no opinion on its worth, but "popular" and "good" hardly have an iron-clad relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
That's where specific animation directions and editing comes into the play. Camera Angles, music, style of drawing; all of those seems to be just thrown everywhere without much considerations.
I'm not so sure. Relentlessflame had a post in the Ep 11 thread that rings true to me on one point, and that's that the individual arcs (at least for Kanon and Shiori) appear to be directed in a manner deemed fitting for the respective subjects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
if Kanon's arc turned the show into a 'music anime', then Shiori's arc turned the show into a 'book-lovers anime' in some ways...
If this is intentional on the part of the anime staff, then I respect their attempt at artistry, but feel it's quite inappropriate. This series doesn't need any gimmicks to set it apart from the crowd; its very premise is "gimmick" enough for that, and its laid-back, no-nonsense approach to plot advancement (especially towards the beginning) make such pretention seem as unnecessary as the anime's overplayed melodrama.

Let's say TWGOK is a Honda Civic. It's not as popular as the expensive gas-guzzler your obnoxious neighbor likes to slow roll up and down the street, but it's inexpensive, reliable, gets great gas mileage, is easy to take care of, has attractive (if not exactly breathtaking) styling, and, as someone who has owned one can attest, drives like a dream. Manglobe doesn't need to be adding a spoiler, custom rims, ground effects, and a gaudy paint job. Sure, a certain crowd may prefer that kind of thing, but what good does it do you if it doesn't handle as well now, it starts rattling like a caged demon once you get it over 65, and the cute girl next door giggles at you every time you bottom out rolling into your driveway?