Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-11, 18:35   Link #723
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I wasn't talking about all the time. It's just, when she explains things to Hero, she really sounds like the Wise Wolf.
Sorry about that then. I'm not arguing you can't draw any parallels at all. Still...the attitudes might be similar, right, but not the voice acting per se. Horo's tone and overall manner of speaking isn't exactly like this, even during the explanation scenes, since that'd reek of laziness on part of the actress. I don't mind if you find the thought of any similarities to be comforting though, along the lines of what Vexx said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Sadly, I have to agree with you. Their first order of business should be to make the audience care about the characters and the fate of that world, and they didn't even attempt to do that. The storytelling and execution of episode 2 were terribly uninspired and dull. There was a serious lack of witty dialogues in particular. It was plain boring. A shame after such a promising first episode. I hope they'll fix that with episode 3.
Well, can't say I agree with either of you here. I think the tactic of going for a slow build-up episode after the introduction might not be fully appreciated by everyone, since that's what different tastes and expectations are all about, but in my book that's a perfectly acceptable creative choice, not a mistake, at this early point in the story. I'd only consider that a flaw if the rest of the series doesn't pick up the overarching plotline sooner or later. Preferably sooner, of course, but I'd rather they avoid rushing through everything to get to the "exciting" parts.

I don't know how the various manga adaptations treated this part of the narrative, but I would argue that while the larger plot did clearly take a back seat this time around, focusing on a much more local setting instead, there were enough nice, small scenes between the characters that I'd consider the anime episode interesting enough. Less dynamic than the previous, maybe, yet still not slow enough to make me feel bored.

The dialogue was less openly confrontational, yes, but I wouldn't say the exchanges weren't at least slightly witty on a smaller scale. I'm sure that there will be more engaging conversations in the future, but not every episode needs a high concentration of them. Likewise, the reduced amount of fanservice was actually pretty good from my point of view, but I'm also expecting them to increase it from time to time.

Of course, I'm guessing that -going by the preview- episode 3 will bring more excitement to the story, but I really don't have a serious complaint against episode 2. Although...the art quality did seem to drop a little in general, which is to be expected of most series after their first episode.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote