View Single Post
Old 2013-01-14, 03:22   Link #264
uushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
What is it? Girls beating up guys.

Worst Offenders: Almost every show out there...it will be easier to just list the exceptions below. If I have to say the freshest example in my mind, it is the Index/Railgun franchise...

Notable Exceptions: Kaze no Stigma - somehow the male lead is able to dodge everything the girl throws at him. Maybe because Kazuma is so AWESOME. There are probably other examples, but right now I can't think of any...

What makes it popular: I keep asking myself that. For girls, maybe they like seeing it because it feels more empowering. Funny thing is...it's popular among guys as well. Maybe they feel envious about the guy in question being a "chick magnet" and like to see him getting beat up.

Reasons I hate it: Well...it's unrealistic and it's demeaning to men. It makes them look weak and disposable.

Is the hate really worth it? Probably not, since it's mostly used as a comedic gag but I can't help it. If you can tell me how not to be bothered by it...please let me know.
Well- you can't really say it's unrealistic as, if you haven't noticed, girls in real life tend to bully or playful punch, kick or slap boys just for the heck of it. Sometimes, you can assume it's just out of impulse as a simple release of emotions or some thing related to that. However, I noticed the whole 'girl abusing boy' concept as well, but regarding a way to brush it off, if you're aware of it being a comedic gag, just embrace it and put up with it because it's a common reoccuring cliche that creators enjoy inputting as it can be considered "cute" in a way. Plus, sometimes the female role abusing the male role can lead to character development; for example, ((though this is kind of weak)) in Shuffle! you notice the two main characters' bond grow through Asa Shigure's playful hits targeted at Rin Tsuchimi.
uushi is offline   Reply With Quote