Thread: Licensed Eve no Jikan (Time of Eve)
View Single Post
Old 2008-08-02, 22:49   Link #16
Falkor

Sometime ago, I came across with the trailer of this show and I became fairly interested in what little it was presented. Today well, ‘Act 1’ was available on some website (we all know which one), so I made use of this opportunity to check it out.

Given the fact that this is supposed to be a movie, or a series of 15 minutes long segments similar to Byousoku 5 cm (whichever works better), I was sort of expecting good animation, which I was not disappointed to find. The color scheme was somewhat more vibrant and vivid; the background used had the extra effort to appear more realistic with the right lighting and shading; and lastly, you can see the use of some kind of 3d software, I think. All in all, the high standards are living up to the theme the show is trying to touch.

But in any case, what I really liked about this show is the style/presentation, something that is becoming rare nowadays. I’m not sure how to go about this, but the pacing, the background music, and the play of camera angles were essential parts of this style. Before I forget to mention it, the music used towards the end strongly reminded me of Sims, and for those who have played the game, I hope I’m not the only one who can see this ‘invisible connection’ between the two. The style was definitely unique, and although I’m finding it impossible to categorize it within a single genre, it did very well to raise some questions such as… (I’m trying to write this so it’s spoiler free; however, I can only say it concerns some aspects of society that the characters embody, which hopefully, somebody with a more intelligent mind can go about in detail). Now, going back to the style (I stray off-topic too frequently), the show jumped around from one frame to another rather fast, which for something supposed to be Slice-of-Life, it comes as a little bit surprising. And that reminds me again, can this even be considered Slice-of-Life? Probably the first segment is not exactly the most pertaining piece to exemplify the Slice-Of-Life genre, but I did not see many elements that can prove the opposite, though the sci-fi label obviously stands as true. I haven’t watched that many Slice-of-Life type of shows, but something most of them have in common is the slow pace, which from beginning to end, this segment somewhat lacked. Not that I’m saying it went too fast, only that it was not slow (not a bad thing though), but rather ‘normal’ if you ask me. The world of Eve no Jikan is ultimately one filled with so much richness and built upon many layers of depth, and I think the purpose of the ‘camera’ was to become the medium to present this to an audience. One instance that comes to mind is ‘that place,’ where only one rule needs to be followed (if you know what I’m talking about, then we are on the right track). It first attempted to capture all dimensions and details, and after that, you come to the realization that it’s actually small, as though that wasn’t enough to signal its very significance within the story. And something you don’t see very often in anime is the first person perspective with a camera ‘slowly throbbing’ up and down, somewhat making ‘the hint’ more obvious. Perhaps, these are not the best examples of why I like the style of this show, but they are certainly aspects I’ve come to appreciate, and eventually enjoy in only 15 minutes.

And yes, I’m looking forward to more.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote