View Single Post
Old 2008-01-30, 00:10   Link #922
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Some thoughts carried from another thread:
I've seen a few indications, reviews, and analyses that many of the sub groups are "not quite getting it right" in terms of Horo's dialog and speech patterns. It is fairly established she uses a dialect reminiscent of an "18th C. Edo courtesan (pleasure girl)" ... but translating that effect into subtitles to give the viewer that feeling is quite tough. English just lacks the subchannels to add that feeling.

Something elegant but erotic is needed ... now what kind of written *words* would one use to convey that?

Much sympathies for the translators, editors, and QC people in the various subgroups trying to capture that.
How many ways is there to make reference to oneself in English apart from "I". I can't think of any other ways.

The Translator should take a look at the official chinese translation of the novels under Kadokawa Taiwan for reference, if they can understand chinese. The translator translate Horo's "Watsuchi" as "咱" , "Jya" as "呐" and "dearisu" as "唄". I'm not sure if this brings out the manner you requested, but it does bring forward Horo's unique way of speaking into the Chinese language.

PS:- Chinese Subs has also follows the translated novel's way of Horo-speak instead of using the conventional way.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote