View Single Post
Old 2008-01-30, 08:31   Link #924
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I was discussing how one might translate the *spirit* of why Horo's dialog sounds a bit risque/erotic to the ears of the humans in the story. English is limited in that respect, but there might a 'elegant but sexy' dialect that might fit though it would almost certainly require some phrasing tweaks.

I'm just going through possible written dialects in my head that might convey that.
A tough job that maybe because while I was reading the novel, I don't think her way of talking was bewitching. Old fashion, maybe. But certainly not enchanting nor enticing, if not without her antics.

I believe the modern ears is not acustomed to the choice of words Horo is utilising and any attempts to charm the readers/viewers alone without her antics will fall flat.

As an example, why are there so many books on Shakespeare's works out there that simpify his beautiful words into today's colloquial english instead of retaining it in it's full 16th century charms ? Certainly those word withstood the test of time but just reading them is a chord today and that's exactly the kind of words Horo speaking if we try to bring her way of speaking faithfully into English.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote