View Single Post
Old 2011-04-14, 12:45   Link #1986
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Although you now have me imagining a very dark ending, where Madoka upbraids Homura for predestining her future and preventing her from ever growing up...
Well, what I have in mind, which goes in line with spoilers available, is that Homura dies before Madoka gets to decide what to do (aka, grow up).

You know, that wish, "Madoka's wish", which will supposedly open the door to the miracle Homura has been waiting for (that her feelings reach Madoka)? I believe it's not a contract. It's a wish, but no a contract. That's the answer to the puzzle, I think.

In order for Madoka to "remember" Homura, for Homura's hopes and feelings to reach Madoka, Homura has to die. Homura's death will make "Madoka's wish" kick in, and Madoka will "remember".

So what exactly is "Madoka's wish" if not a contract. IMO, it's Madoka's request for Homura to save her, back in timeline 3. In Japanese, "wish" and "request" are pretty much the same word. We know magic defies logic, and has the potential to achieve even absurd things. It's not farfetched at all then to think that promise between them could trigger an actual miracle. So that's the key, I think.

What happens from then on? What will Madoka do after Homura's death, after "remembering" everything that happened between them in the previous timelines? That's up to her. That's when she has to grow up.

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree about "meek and insecure Madoka" being "the real Madoka." Sorry! I keep thinking of Madoka as being merely ordinary, not meek and insecure.
She may not be that way, but she sees herself that way at the very least. She has to overcome that.

Quote:
You're definitely right that Homura's intention is to save Madoka's life. But you know, one of the things the anime keeps bringing up is the fine line that divides wishing on behalf of oneself and wishing on behalf of another person. Homura's stated wish is also about herself, that she become different than she has been, someone strong enough to protect Madoka. There is a selfish element in Homura's wish, even if its intended purpose is altruistic. To some extent, Madoka is partly a means whereby Homura redresses her own unhappiness about herself.
I agree to some extent. But I think the series wanted to make a point that Homura's original wish died back then in timeline 3, when she basically gave up. Her "wish" now, is very different in nature. Before it was in part about herself: she wanted to be someone stronger, stronger enough so that Madoka wouldn't die for her sake. Now, her own life doesn't matter anymore. She has given up on herself; all that matter now is for Madoka to be safe.

Quote:
Here's a thought-experiment for you: does Homura grow up between timelines 1 and 5? What do we mean anyway when we think that someone has "grown up?" If Madoka "grows up," what will we see?
About Homura, is kinda complicated: it is implied she has no family and no friends, and her poor health complicates things even more. Madoka is not only her best friend, her only friend; Madoka is everything to her. So I don't think "growing up" applies to her as it applies to Madoka, who has everything, friends, a loving family, good health, yet can't really see her own value in it.

I think growing up, for Madoka, means to realize her own value. I mean, if people around you love you, it's because you're not worthless. This is the fundamental thing Madoka can't understand, IMO. I've got the feeling she'll begin to understand this after remembering everything about Homura. That will bring the series full circle.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-04-14 at 13:23.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote