View Single Post
Old 2009-05-17, 02:25   Link #280
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
:P The problem is, I am not making any claims as to the potential ability of the writers, or even NoN ostensibly as a standalone narrative, in the first place. Although it might even be obvious that NoN's writing enjoys a substansive advantage over the original work by virtue of being a rear guard derivative product, nonetheless this does not take away from the fact that, at least to me (even just to me -- though obviously I would be gratified from some sympathetic expressions), NoN is to a great deal more enjoyable.
Your post clearly was the immediate catalyst for mine, that's rather easy to notice, but my statements weren't just directed at you alone and are meant as a response to the general vibe about NoN that seems to be present around here and even elsewhere on the net.

You are certainly not alone in that respect, but I am not suggesting that NoN should not or could not be enjoyed. The very fact that I am definitely planning to buy it, whenever the manga is officially released in the U.S., would be a positive sign as far as that goes so my words aren't meant to absolutely discourage its enjoyment as, perhaps, a kind of supplement to the series in as much as it admittedly didn't fulfill a lot of its promise, for a number of complicated reasons, while NoN seems to be better structured.

It's more of an attempt to ask people to briefly look back at what NoN actually is and why a direct comparison with the show, beyond personal enjoyment which may be based on objective grounds but is ultimately also subjective, runs into several issues. That's really the main message, if you want to describe it as such, that I intend to transmit.
Everything else is up for debate.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote