Thread: Licensed Shiki
View Single Post
Old 2010-12-31, 19:17   Link #1964
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapat View Post
I never read the original novel, but from what I've seen in this thread didn't Natsuno just flat out die in that and not revive as a werewolf, leaving Seishin as the only one who did in story? If that's the case the abrupt Deus ex Machina of him becoming a daywalker and saving Sunako in the end probably would have had more dramatic impact. The manga/anime keeping Natsuno alive as a werewolf for the sake of forcibly shoehorning in a shonen-age protagonist to expand the story's target age demographic probably damaged the novel's climax in this regard.
Even without Natsuno, it was a deux ex and a cheap way to save Sunako. Werewolves are rare (4-5 total known) according to the series. You don't just get one when you need one at the end of the series. Plus he didn't drink any blood. So now we have a newborn werewolf who just happens to be pumped on steroids enough to hack a human with a cleaver.

And Natsuno, Megumi and Tooru are prob the driving force for DVD and manga sales. Sunako has her fans also. I doubt that many people were watching this for Seishin. Toshio's cool but he won't sell much either.