View Single Post
Old 2012-09-01, 08:36   Link #30289
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
I was absent for some time... and now i see that nothing changed... I mean how many times were these things like the identities of Ikuko and Tohya discussed already? It really seems time for R07 to publish new information.
I wouldn't think so. It would kinda ruin the entire 'open-ending' premise if he did that. That kinda was its whole point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Apparently in Japan a lot of people fell for the trick. Over here at animesuki though most people didn't, and didn't even know there was a trick...
I don't know about other people, but I totally fell for it...

But then I said.... Wait! What if it is the masked guy who was with her at the book signing? And then I felt very proud of myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Not true. Keiya mentions that Touya is Battler. Ryukishi neither confirmed nor denied.
I guess you could say that, if you want to believe Toya isn't Battler so badly.

Well, as a matter of fact, you're right, he didn't, though I don't know how 'Yes, it was Battler' would follow up in the discussion. In the end, that's the whole point. Although I'm not a fan of Toya=Random and Ikuko=Yasu theories, I do enjoy the fact that so many different stories it is still possible to come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
What if it was planned from the beginning that Battler was still alive? In that case it would be one of the premises of the story, even if it wasn't clearly stated. But since this is clearly meant to be a plot twist, that's a given.
I think there were some slight implies in EP6. Not in the slightest 'hints' to lead to that conclusion, just preparing the soil for what would follow up.

Quote:
I don't think you still have grasped that what I'm arguing is that there is a big difference between distrusting what it is written, and coming up with absolutely never mentioned facts. Which is ironic because I often see you claiming that X or Y is impossible because etc.

Ryuukishi certaintly created the situation you described, but he also stated that you should be able to understand the truth using the hints he left to us. and that's where you should draw the line.

Else I can state something like: "There was a secret Russian facility hidden in Rokkenjima. Kinzo was actually a spy for the Russians, the incident is actually the result of an experiment gone wrong."

There's absolutely no point in that. You're not justified in coming up with never mentioned facts just because you don't know which is true or false.
If it's catbox, you'll either find a dead cat or an alive cat. You won't find a frog.
I pretty much agree with this. I think it says somewhere in Umineko that 'there is an infinite amount of possibilities within a limited ring'. That's the beauty of it. Even if it's not about understanding the truth, but just theorizing, even creating joke theories like the Geogre-cookie eater, all of it is in the money as long as it doesn't turn the cat into a frog.

That's one of the reasons I hate the Ikuko=Yasu theory. There's just no adequate hint to pass it as acceptable.

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote