View Single Post
Old 2012-09-03, 16:31   Link #78
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Additionally, Itachi had the help of an entire clan in achieving his early advancements. I'm sure he trained on his own, but his Father, Mother and Shisui all undoubtedly helped him in training his abilities and Sharingan. Sasuke, on the other hand, had a handful of scrolls (after the massacre) and that's about it. (It certainly didn't help that his mind was raped and he was traumatized when he started training again.)
I think the instruction Sasuke received from Kakashi was nearly as good as instruction from an Uchiha. True, we don't see Kakashi directly training him to use Sharingan, but Sasuke did sharply hone his (copied) taijutsu under his guidance. Plus Kakashi shares the lightning affinity and knows powerful Raiton like Chidori, so he was especially suited to training Sasuke.

Still, agreed that the rate advancement doesn't really matter so much. It's just that Itachi was able to freely use his gifts at a much earlier age than Sasuke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
saying itachi is a genius and sasuke is not is getting into the debate over who's a better genius, while casting aside the fact that they both are geniuses. sasuke was able to dispel itachi's tsukiomi with just a normal sharingan after all. i agree that itachi was better and smarter and by sasuke's own words 'perfect' although i wouldnt go that far myself. but sasuke's development is clearly genius as is his intelligence. just look at how he was able to diagnose everything deidara (a kage level fighter) did in the midst of a fast paced and deadly fight.
I think the difference is that Itachi's skill comes across as effortless. We never actually see the guy break a sweat in a fight until his battle with Sasuke. Even then he dominated most of the duel and was doing that knocking at death's door with illness. While Sasuke has arguably closed the gap in power, he continues to struggle. Killer Bee mopped the floor with him and both Raikage and Danzou pushed his limits.

All very high-level opponents sure, but Sasuke's decisions in battle a lot of times seem ad-libbed and clumsy compared to the precise, calculating execution of Itachi's jutsu. And he doesn't regularly show knowledge and analytical ability to the extent Kakashi does (he's quick-witted and clever, but not really a tactical fighter). In terms of achievement, Sasuke is a genius, no doubt. but I think his portrayal is more that of a talented ninja who has happened to accumulate a lot of power rather than a ninja whose genius allowed him to progress so far.

Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote