View Single Post
Old 2012-12-27, 13:31   Link #149
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'm watching Shin Sekai Yori and finding it hard to get through. It was recommended to me on the basis of being a good depiction of incidental homosexuality in a non-romance series, but it turns out that everyone just fucks everyone else to reduce the stress of their superpowers, and the main character is clearly hungry for the two male characters' cocks. There isn't any real, loving homosexual romance, and homosexuality is treated as, essentially, a living sex toy, an orgasm-inducing stress ball.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on the series, but I went in expecting something based on the recommendation and now I'm getting something completely different. Add to that the aforementioned pacing problems and the aimless feel of the story, it just doesn't seem to be nearly as good as claimed. The character design and art direction is interesting, though.
Claims of pacing issues or of an "aimless feel" aside, this is an incredibly misguided approach to the series. Its not a series about homosexuality and love is an element, but hardly the main focus of the entire narrative. This is a dystopia fantasy world and its about how the characters, Saki in particular, manage to deal with the difficult situation they been given. All sorts of mystery and suspense are present, and it feels disturbing at many times throughout.

For me it's easily becoming one of the anime of 2013 (It will be completing it then) because of its wonderful world building of a dystopia fantasy world that is hanging on a knife's edge.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote