View Single Post
Old 2008-02-21, 00:16   Link #237
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I mentioned this a few pages back, but it's important enough to be repeated: the president's power/job is not to get things passed. On a regular day to day basis, the president's job is to keep Congress in check. I don't care whether they're buddies or not so long as the president isn't afraid to say "this law stinks/is not necessary" and uses his power to veto. George Bush has barely exercised his veto powers and as a result Congress has run wild. It could just be due to my age, but I'd say that the nation has changed a fair bit during these past eight years compared with how things used to be, partly as a result of that.

In times of war or national disaster, the president gets the reigns handed to him by Congress. That's when the president is really supposed to provide the nation with direction. Otherwise, the people provide the direction by electing officials to Congress. In addition to keeping Congress in check, the president is supposed to keep America in good standing with international countries by representing the average American.

I'll repeat my complaint: George Bush really screwed over people's perception of what the president is supposed to be doing.
I have to agree here. The system of checks and balances between the President and Congress has, over the past eight years, seemed to diminish into something like a lookout at a burglary; let them snatch and grab for a while and then, when the deed is done, select what small bits you want to make up your percentage.

Bush has not only not used his powers of veto when necessary, he's forced bills through that were turned down by Congress (such as the most recent military spending proposal). And lets not forget the most infamous ear-marked bill in the history of this presidency: "Should the United States come under times of duress before or during the interchange of occupiers of the Presidential Office, the current President and his cabinet shall retain power until such time as stability can be restored." What a load of garbage...