View Single Post
Old 2012-09-14, 09:33   Link #147
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
Well, I can tell you the Chinese light novel community didn't hold it in really high regards early on. The first two volumes seemed too echhi and harem like for some people's taste. The translator (a female btw) of the first two volumes dropped the work because there was too much "skin" for her taste. It wasn't until the last 3 or 4 months that the project was picked up again (with considerably higher reviews this time).

Yes, there are the nude scenes (walking into a naked Ellen, Lumirada, Sophia, etc) and the harem aspect, but those take a background role compared to the action, strategy, and political machination.
MF Bunko knows that fanservice sells...and unfortunately, that's why they emphasize it so much with the colored pages. I mean, just look at any MF Bunko LN, and most of the time the colored pages are sheer fanservice meant to lure people in. While it might hold some truth to some of their haremy, lovecom-y series, Vanadis suffers from it because people end up dismissing it as another harem title and then miss out on a great medieval political war story.

Plus, while this series is indeed REALLY fun to read as a hobby, translating it ends up as a chore because of the sheer clusterfuck of the names. It would REALLY help if MF Bunko did something with Vanadis like what Ichijinsha does with Thousand to Aegis, which is also by the same author, Kawaguchi Tsukasa. But I doubt they care, which...sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgaesh View Post
In the poll in BT for Code-Zero next project, Madan no Ou only got 20 votes being mine one of them. It's such a shame that a series good as this it's not recognized as it should.
There was really very little material to promote Vanadis with during the time of the poll, aside from whatever available illustrations were accessible after a quick google search. One glance at the naked Vanadis ladies, and they probably just dismissed it as sheer harem.

Not everyone also had/has access to the summaries made by zephyr from jcafe, which would have definitely perked interest up for it.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2012-09-14 at 10:30.
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote