View Single Post
Old 2006-01-26, 07:46   Link #557
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempestuousfury
I saw this a long time back, dubbed in VHS form from the library.

Please forgive the incoherency of my post, but I'm not exactly sure how to put it all together...

What I remember:
there's a bald guy with a long beard chasing ghosts (killing/ catching?)
-what i really remember about him, when he is fighting... someone, he comments on how he's bald because he doesn't want his hair getting in the way (paraphrase)
1.) human boy falls in love with a ghost in some city
2.) girl and ghost go through some place wqith massive hammers that put stamps on people's heads to make them forget who they are (reincarnation)
3.) boy and ghost try hard to avoid the hammers, boy loses sight of ghost
4.) boy goes to the place where girl is to be reincarnated, turns out the baby there is a boy
5.) Boy finds ghost by the lake, movie ends with him running down the shore, with girl following in the water

I'm sorry, but that's pretty much all that I remember. *shakes head* Thank you. *crosses fingers*
It is undeniably Chinese Ghost Story. Everything you remembered is correct. I liked that movie a lot.

Incidently, this was based on a live action Hong Kong move of the same name. After that movie was successful, the director made an animated movie which has the same theme as the original, but almost nothing else in common. Both the live action and animated versions of this movie are amazing. Beautifully tragic and full of heartwrenching emotion. With a lot of cool action scenes too of course.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-01-26 at 07:57.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote