View Single Post
Old 2011-03-03, 21:29   Link #94
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

I feel like everybody is glossing over a line of Kyuubey's that I found very telling. He says "There are six-billion-nine-hundred-million of you right now and your population is growing by ten every four seconds. So why do you make such a big fuss over the loss of just one of you?" To us as humans, the loss of an individual we knew and cared about is very heart-wrenching but to Kyuubey it's just one of billions.

If any of you have read the Ender's Game series Kyuubey reminds me a lot of the Hive Queen. Her species has a shared consciousness between one queen and thousands or more workers. The workers have no mind of their own, they're just glorified appendages of the queen. Maybe Kyuubey's race is the same way. His body is clearly expendable as we saw last episode.

So while we're treating the death of magical girls as a huge tragedy Kyuubey sees it as no more sorrowful an event than we see scratching off dead skin as. The population is growing faster than the girls are dying, and we can generate sustainable energy for the universe. When only the population as a whole matters and the individual is expendable then what Kyuubey is doing is completely justified.

That said, I don't totally buy it when he says they don't understand human emotions or values. Obviously he has some idea of what makes humans tick because he is quite adept at manipulating humans. Now it's entirely possible that his mental communication is like the hive queen's in that he has an idea in his head and he sends it to a human and the human fills that in with what is familiar to her. He wants to convey the happiness and glory that comes with being a magical girl and the humans interpret that as they will. He's unable to lie because he always says what he's thinking. It's just that he only "throws" the thoughts he chooses to throw. There's no lying, only imperfect exchange of information.