View Single Post
Old 2007-03-22, 07:27   Link #21
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
Thats basically sequential writing. Usually very uncommon on desktop systems. However in this case (formating, installing windows on a fresh formated drive) it is sequential writing. Since sequential reading/writing is far less stressy for the hdd, its okay for longer periods of time (however, a bad sector you can get everytime, its just the chances that differ. If you use your hdd seldom, and never sustained, you can still get a bad sector, chances are just much much lower that this happens)

I don't understand that part. When I download bittorrent I use 800Mbyte RAM cache and disk space preallocation (utorrent).

Basically yes. However, what do you think will the process of defragmenting your disk do? Its a very stressy thing for you hdd. And if defragmenting at all, than I'ld suggest a clever one. Like placing all those files physically nearby, that are often used together. E.g. all the Windows start-up load files sequentially one after the other (that would not only cause less stress on the disk, but also improve Windows start up time)

Well, on a NTFS drive it will move sometimes fast, when writing the Windows files to the disk (because NTFS partitions are written from both ends to the middle). But that is not as bad as disk totally fragmented by torrents (which were not preallocated... well sort of a natural fragmentation also happens with preallocated torrents if you download very much, but it is much less fragmenting). I'ld use a separate partition for torrent downloads, one that can be completely cleaned at times.

I think so... (yet there exists no absolute safety).
Thanks for the reply your like God sent person!!

Anyways with the download part so when you use bitorrent its does not use the hard disk space? And one more thing cpu usage is different from hard drive usage right? I mean for example when your ram is slow its takes up the space of your HDD Im using [764mb of ram] Finally it's not stressy for the Hdd if its downloading torrents for 24hrs???

Edit: I was rebooting my pc and suddenly the boot was slow all of the sudden this happened..
Spoiler:

Last edited by toru310; 2007-03-22 at 07:53.
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote