View Single Post
Old 2013-02-17, 04:20   Link #33
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
And as for the US being the "last bastion of hope and freedom"... where's that The Pressroom clip (or whatever HBO show it was) when you need it about America supposedly being the "greatest country" or something? Granted, there are certain things that America (and for the record, I'm talking about the USA portion) has greater freedom on than others... but at the end of the day, IMO, it's mostly just a mentality left over and general reinforced from the fact that the US was one of the winners of WWII (hell, if it weren't for the US coming in until after Pearl Harbor, and the fact that Pearl Harbor was the only attack on US soil, I doubt, I doubt it would've even become a superpower, but that's a debate for a History Thread)
I will only say this; the claim that America is "The last bastion of hope and freedom" might sound nice to Americans, but to everyone else, even allies like Australia, it is a grievous insult.

I know people don't mean it like that. But it sounds like a secular version of a demand for a non-religious crusade on the rest of the planet. Australians talk about Australia being the best as a matter of course; but we don't lay claim that every other nation are degenerate Sodom who are all North Koreas. And that's why it is offensive. It doesn't sound like patriotic speech, but more like "We will one day crush all inferior nations beneath us".

Just want to make that observation.