View Single Post
Old 2012-11-09, 09:53   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I would very much like to know if it's possible for them to override the setting of the Dominator, because if they can't, that's a severe limitation. They should be able to choose what kind of force they wish to use. From what we've seen so far (Kogami vs the masked man in the first episode being the best example), it seems like they have to wait for Sibyl's judgment in order to use the dominator (the gun remains locked otherwise and there's nothing they can do about it), so I don't think it's possible to manually override the settings in one way or another. It makes you ponder which of the dominator or the user is the tool.
Excellent observations. This is why I disagreed with the comparison between the Dominator and speedometer that was made on another thread.

It really does seem like the Dominators strictly limits the choices of those who use them.

Sibyl doesn't seem to leave everything up to human choice. Whether the Dominator is able to fire, and what it will fire (paralyzing shot or lethal shot) does not appear to be left to the discretion of the user. "To shoot or not to shoot" appears to still be a choice, but only if the Dominator allows itself to be shot.

It's still possible that the Dominator has a manual override, but it's a fading possibility with every passing episode that we don't see such a thing come into play. At this juncture, I'm inclined to think that there isn't a manual override.

I also don't see much evidence of old-fashioned firearms being carried by these law enforcement officers. I mean, I don't get the impression that you can just switch to an old basic handgun if the Dominator refuses to let you fire it at someone.

My impression is that catching criminals is left up to Inspectors and Enforcers. They can determine the best means by which to catch a criminal, and they have some real flexibility here. But what happens to said criminal if s/he's caught is largely determined by Sibyl. If the Dominator is given lethal shot, then the strong implication is that this perp should be killed, period.