View Single Post
Old 2010-05-17, 15:46   Link #10054
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
The following is not a theory. Meaning that I am not about to write out in detail how it could explain everything -- I am not sure it even can. I am only detailing something which I think makes sense and explains things. It is more of a 'whydunnit' than 'whodunnit'. It is very probably wrong in many places, but maybe you ladies and gentlemen can hammer it into shape.

So let's call this a Dispersed Beatrice Hypothesis. Let me try to answer some major questions...
[list][*]What is Battler's sin?

In 1980, Battler was in fact in love with Jessica rather than Shannon. The love was mutual, but never declared, with Jessica being well on her way to becoming a tsundere. Battler actually proposed to Shannon instead to test Jessica's feelings, which resulted in him making the promise he subsequently broke that Jessica treated seriously.

In Ep3, Jessica says directly to Battler for no visible reason: "A community of girls with the wrong impressions can be scary. They could have some secret feud behind your back, and hurt someone or make them cry without you noticing it, right?"

Furthermore, in Ep5 Battler himself describes how that happened: "By that argument... ...it really isn't a stretch to say it's like love between shy elementary or middle school-aged kids. ...Even though they really do want it, they don't have the courage to reveal their feelings, so they wait uncomfortably for the other person to confess......and by the time summer ends, nothing's happened. Heheh, sometimes they'll even go out with a different person. That's what my first love was like, ihihi."

[*]Who is Beatrice?

There is more than one person laying claim to the name 'Beatrice', and both Jessica and Shannon are claimants. It fits the red about the sin not being between Beatrice and Battler because at the moment it is uttered, Battler is actually talking to Jessica!

Through Kinzo's will, related to us in 'Kinzo's speech in Ep4, the siblings are no longer eligible to receive any inheritance from him in any circumstances, but his grandchildren still are, if the headship transfer procedure is followed. It can proceed in one of two possible ways -- either one of them solves the epitaph, or one is selected through a headship test.

Jessica believes Battler is not actually her cousin, having heard of the circumstances of his birth, and therefore thinks that his only chance of becoming the heir in a legit manner is solving the epitaph. Solving the epitaph and remembering his sin would actually make their union possible in her eyes, even though it would be a miraclous 'Beatrice victory' which is normally impossible. (One can probably happen, but not both.) However, she cannot possibly convey her feelings openly or even admit to herself she still has them. She instead burdens Shannon with them, as if Shannon does not have enough on her plate.
This is a theory Oliver thought up, and I don't know why but I like it. That's where I got the BattlerxJessica pairing from.
And for any claims of incest, I'll repeat: Elfen Lied did it too :P

Of course, we don't have too much evidence about this. But still: a love triangle would be a good motive, or at least a good starting point for a murder plot to arise.

As for the crime being on Rokkenjima, didn't Asumu come to the island, too?
If Asumu died on the island, then there's no contradiction. Plus, no one would have mentioned it because it was declared a taboo; basically, they didn't want to bring it up.
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote