View Single Post
Old 2012-10-26, 12:11   Link #76
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Then there's Akane. Akane might not be questioning the Sibyl System yet, but she sure as heck is questioning a lot of the outcomes of it. A few more episodes like the last three, and Akane may well start questioning and doubting the system itself.
If, indeed, Sibyl has some ability to effect it's own self-reform, then it's possible that Akane is a reformer at heart. I think we will see a Decon-Recon switch here, where the first half points out the flaws of Sibyl, while the second half stress that there is hope so long as the system is reformable. And that Akane is one of the few rare humans with the capability of effecting and ensuring that systems continue reforming, continue changing, adapting growing.

She won't get to see the worst of society at it's height, so she chooses to go down to a prestigious seat at the gutter of the system, so as to truly appreciate it's flaws, but at the same time, constructively formulate potential reforms.

I really think that Akane isn't just an "older" Madoka in terms of Naivety and presence, she's also hope, in an extra-ordinary individual. And that's probably Urobuchi's main point here.

If I may be politically incorrect, Akane and some of Urobichi's previous characters , et all, represents Urobuchi's conception of an "Ubensmensch" that delivers hope and changes and improvements, while pointing out just what kind of qualities such a person might invoke. Moral, Benevolent Ubensmensch of a superior human nature above that of normal human nature.

It's an interesting theory. Human Nature has its Saints and Sinners, the Sinners outweigh the Saints, but Saints and Sinners are in few between. Humans are grey, in a spectrum, but Urobuchi posits that most cluster around the darker end of the spectrum. But it would take a special kind of Saint to pull off a miracle for real change to happen, in Urobuchi's worldview.

It seems that he subscribes to the Great Man Theory of history, but perhaps I'm reading to far into it. But "Great Man", or "Great Woman" in this case predominates his thinking, and I think is one of the running themes in his recent works, beyond : hur hur, the world is grimdark and irredeemably full of despair. To him, the world is Redeemable, but only through miracles. Black Swans if you will, and Akane I think is a perfect example of a moral and highly principled one.