View Single Post
Old 2008-01-08, 02:14   Link #111
zeth06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
As VCV believes, and so do I, since the Exia didn't have any weapons to power, and since it doesn't need to jam communications (which would totally defeat the purpose of them luring the media in) then Exia can divert its energy to defense. Like shown in episode 12, a Gundam can divert GN particles through different systems, and they can intentionally set whether to scramble communications or not. An active Gundam doesn't necessarily mean automatic comm blackout, as episodes 2, 5 and 10 suggest.

As for Gundam invincibility being the norm, it actually is. Exia's feat here is nothing compared to the first RX-78 Gundam, which tanked multiple shots from a 120mm Zaku machinegun.
I totally get your point, and I like your explanation. Indeed in pretty much every Gundam series, the Gundam either starts out being pretty darn strong or ends up either way becoming invincible. But I think what many others are a bit peeved about is why the director doesn't go through the trouble to make it so that it's obvious that Exia can take those cannons easily, even tho they're hitting his arms. I'm assuming that the structure of his arms is no stronger than the structure on, let's say, his body. I'm sure Setsuna made Exia use its arms to guard the cockpit where the conservative spokesman was with Setsuna. But a lot of times, we viewers are forced to use our deductive abilities to think "MAYBE he did this, or he COULD'VE used this...WHO KNOWS?"

Nontheless, this is my first post here, and I have to say that I liked this episode a lot. For a 20 minute episode, the director still did a good job in integrating fight scenes with the theme of hope/peace, and of course in the end, a touching meeting between Setsuna and Marina...and ofc, the cool guy's exit (which I'm sure many of us gentleman will agree it's something we've done many times both on purpose and by accident with the ladies the ladies and we relate with Setsuna on that one...or am I the only one?)

8/10 here. Liked it. It was a refreshing break from all those other eps where the pilots came out feeling like crap and showing evidence of bad pasts.
zeth06 is offline   Reply With Quote