View Single Post
Old 2011-05-03, 21:17   Link #7
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
I hear that stuff all the time at my school, and in all honesty, say some of those things myself. I don't feel like I'm being rude, because most people I know (Asians) laugh with me; they know I'm just half-heartedly pointing out stereotypes as a joke. I hope they're actually laughing with me, because I'd be saddened if they were faking it and didn't tell me. I wouldn't continue to say things like that if I knew they were hurtful to my friends.
Well, don't worry too much because I know as a fact that not everyone would be upset by these kinds of comments, I guess a lot of Asians have been sort of immunized to them after hearing them so much. I only feel offended by them if I think hard about them, so I guess I should just stop that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Either way, isn't that just racial stereotyping, and not racism? I believe racism is the belief in superiority or inferiority of one or multiple ethnicities.
Hmm, I suppose you can say so, but I sometimes feel like people are putting us down by saying things like "Asian this, Asian that". I also feel that people who think they have the authority to stereotype people of other cultures are a bit racist to an extent. Isn't racism born from stereotyping? Because when people have racial or cultural stereotype in their minds they cease to think of people of other races or cultures as individuals, and when a particular group of people become generalized like this...