View Single Post
Old 2004-06-24, 19:52   Link #5
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Send a message via AIM to KristopherZ Send a message via MSN to KristopherZ
Kenshin is without a doubt one of my favorite series of all time, I would put it just under my number 1 series (Kare Kano). As for why a guy has a shojo comic as his number 1 favorite series of all time we can discuss in another thread.

I absolutely love Kenshin. As I saw in the thread, our friends in europe and other nations seems to have the better luck and has all 28 volumes released. I can say that the series is amazing because it has awesome character designs, brilliant script writing, amazingly choreographed fights and duels, and of course absolutely gorgous backgrounds. Even though only 5 volumes have been released in the USA it is safe to say already that it is easily one of the best series of all time. My reason? Most of us do know of the existence of the Kyoto Arc and the Revenge Arc. Let's say hypothetically that the person doesn't know that those two arcs exists, but like the 5 released volumes so far. We can guess that volume 6 is not so horrible in quality as to completely turn off the reader to the entire series.

Based on that assumption we can tell that if they can endure volume 6 that they will be addicted to the rest of the series, why? because the Kyoto Arc is from volume 7-17, and the Revenge Saga is from volume 18-28. Just based off that assumption Kenshin will become the highest selling manga series in history. Each volume has sold from 30,000 - 60,000 copies, if the entire series sells only 30,000 copies for its 28 volume run, it will sell 840,000 copies in the USA. That is if all things are constant. There are a couple of things that can change sales numbers as the series continues it's run in the USA.

The first variable that can change sales numbers are people who bought the first couple of volumes but decide at some point cannot do so because of money or because they lost interest. Another variable is a huge one, that is word of mouth, since the series is good, one friend tells a couple of friends and a couple of friends tell more friends about it, increasing the sales in the USA. So the two variables that will determine future sales in the USA really cancel each other out, we can assume that the declining sales of people who have no money/ lose interest will be countered by the increasing sales because of word of mouth. That in turn means that the sales will remain relatively constant, or swing one way or another depending on which happens more loss of interest or word of mouth.

While my post went blah blah blah with the more technical aspects of the the manga industry. We can safely assume that Kenshin will be the highest selling magna of all time and if Viz play's their cards right it can rope in ever more fans into the manga hobby. I already have a couple of friends who are not real big fans of anime and magna and but are now addicted to kenshin and buy it regularly.