View Single Post
Old 2009-10-27, 19:26   Link #476
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Your reasoning would make perfect sense if I were an ordinary end-user. But I'm not, so it's nothing but a major annoyance.

I'm not really upset that UAC exists, because like you say some people would need such a thing to keep them from turning their computer into a brick. But I don't, and for those of us who don't need the OS nagging us every time we want to change the config settings, we can turn it off.

What bothered me more about UAC wasn't that it warned the user when they were going to make a major system-altering change, but that it comes up every time you do anything remotely related to anything. You want to install a game, UAC harasses you. You want to pull up the task manager, UAC harasses you. Et cetera.
UAC is not as bad in Windows 7 than in Vista because they don't ask you every time when you change the settings/delete files/etc with the default settings. The problem is, turning it off is a great invitation for automatic malware installation which is a problem that infested Windows XP since the default user account run on Administrator when most of the tasks don't require admin privileges.

Also, the changes in Windows 7 allow you to add programs that require elevation to be added to a exclude list so you don't get a prompt when running the programs require elevation on the list.

Anyways, how often anyone install a program... The likely hood of seeing these prompts are low if you don't do this often...

npal: Mac OS X asks for password if you install something that have files needed to be installed in the Library folder (not the home library folder), installing system updates, anything that change the system settings or files or preference panes that are locked such as modifying account settings (this is changed in Snow Leopard, requiring you to enter your password to change network, startup disk, date, security settings).