View Single Post
Old 2007-05-16, 05:55   Link #143
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

After so much time, I finally managed to allocate some time to sit down and watch Ep06 of sola properly. The following is based on [Doremi]'s fansub.

Random Thoughts on Ep06:
---- ----
  • I ended up eating my earlier words within the first minute when it was finally revealed to us who the hooded man is. Hmm... *munch, munch* sola has been making me *munch, munch* eat a lot of my words lately... *munch, munch* I haven't been this terrible with speculation since... *munch, munch* since ever.

In short, my speculation hit-rate has been woeful (abysmal even). The icing on the cake would be if Mana did turn out to be psycho. If that does happen, I wouldn't just need to eat my words, I would need to chew on my foot as well!
  • It was rather... convenient that Mana was so accepting of Matsuri's non-human status... Character trait or plot necessity? For now, I hold my judgement on this, and see how Mana plays out in the rest of the series.
  • Yes, yes... it has been said multiple times already, but it bears repeating.

"Iron Claw!"
  • I was surprised to see Aono hand-chop Koyori. What happened? Isn't she on Koyori's side or something? Or does she share Mana's obsession with having their younger siblings call them onee-chan?

Aono: "Koyori, be a good younger sibling and call Mana, "Onee-chan", just like my obedient little brother."

• Mana seems Hellbent on matchmaking Yorito and Matsuri.
  • Matsuri is a very forward lass. Of course, she has had several centuries to shed her inhibitions, but her messing with Yorito's mind is just so naughty!
  • Aono's scowl as she brought the origami-frog to life is just Grade-A. I love that type of facial expression. So scowl-ly... and yet so cute.
  • Ah Yorito... still so naive. How could you actually believe that Matsuri would fall asleep that fast?

That said, Matsuri is really, really forward and mischievous. I was laughing at Yorito's "must-grab" hand, because it made him look like he was trying to prey on Matsuri, only he was the toy all along in this scene.
  • Like Matsuri, Aono also ended up pretending to sleep in the hospital. I wonder if there is any hidden "deep symbolic" meaning behind it?
  • Yes! I got one speculation right. Yorito and Mana did get acquainted in the hospital.
  • Hearing Aono repeatedly say, "~ my little brother." made me think that she needed therapy, and lots of it, now.
  • After hearing Aono's explanation for coming out of the hospital, I wonder if she has the power to manipulate minds? It would certainly explain her hospital stay and exit. It will also lend credence to the theory that Yorito is Aono's "puppet".
  • Strange that Yorito would so willingly allow Matsuri to walk alone home... Slight plothole there. They could have at least made Mana walk with her, THEN have Matsuri ditch Mana when Yorito is not around to complain about her safety.
  • Cute.

Koyori: "I'm truly sorry, but I'm going to have to change my image of Yorito-san!"
  • Matsuri's speech about not being alone in school lends further weight to the alternative meaning of sola.
  • They made Takeshi do an old-man joke in 'preview'.

ORZ

I was also taken aback when Mayuko's reply was so... rough, like she just smoked 50 packs of cigars or something.
One of the things that drives me crazy is the lack of previews. On one hand, they get to keep their cards close to their hearts and maximise the surprise potential, but on the other hand, it limits the speculation. Then again, it helps to keep the speculation focused on current events.

This series is genuinely confounding me, in a good way. I just hope the wrap-up does justice to what we have experienced so far. At this point, sola has greatly exceeded all my prior expectations, and the mystery is one that has eluded me the most.

I give a 09/10 for this episode. Flaws include the plotholes that I mentioned above, and some questionable plot-movement.

Cheers.