Thread: World of Tanks
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-28, 19:43   Link #413
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsovin View Post
The key is doing damage or spotting to allow your team to do damage. Shots that bounce do nothing but cost credits. And at higher tiers when each shell is 1000 credits it can add up.

This teaches you to know your common opponents' weak points. Rule of thumb for me is shoot German armor in the turret, Russians and Americans in the hull. Of course some models may differ so if a particular tank is giving you trouble do some research to find out where the weak spots are. At Tier 8 in my T32 I almost always have to shoot at crew periscopes or machine gun pods to penetrate because my gun is so weak compared to the higher tier heavy tanks.

When in doubt, shoot the lower plate.

For example, the German tier 10 Heavy tank E-100 has a 250mm (?) turret at 10 degrees, about 260mm or so of effective armor. The upper frontal plate is 200mm at 60 degrees, you will need a penetration roll of about 400mm to go through that. For the lower plate however, it is 150mm at 50 degrees, I think, for effective armor of about 200mm.

IS-7's upper plates are about 300mm effective armor head on, where as the lower plate is about 200. Same with IS-4.

French mediums and heavies are weak everywhere at the higher tiers, but for the AMX-50B shoot the turret. (Has insane frontal hull armor)

My general rule of thumb:

German tanks: Shoot the lower plate. Often contains transmission for delicious engine fires
Soviet tanks: Shoot lower plate. Sometimes contains ammo racks or fuel tanks
USA tanks: Shoot sides or if can't, shoot lower plate. T29/34/30 - shoot hull.
French tanks: shoot turret/things on top of the tank in the case of tank destroyers
British tanks: Shoot lower plate.

Keep in mind that the lower tier French and British tanks (Pre/early war) are very different from their late/post war tanks.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote