View Single Post
Old 2011-10-23, 09:00   Link #139
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I have a lot of those, let's see...

A pathetic main character - almost all recent action animes have a crybaby for a main hero. Notable examples are Deadman Wonderland and Mirai Nikki. I could relate with ganta at first but when he kept beong the same all 12/13 episodes it was just damn irritating. Just what is authors problem?! It isn't that hard to make a decent character who still can develop! After all we have so many cool side characters who also change and develop during the story! If you want a pathetic main character then at least make him progress isntead of being stuck in his pathetic mode throughtout 3/4 of the show!
Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. If you were an innocent boy and were suddenly thrown into a situation where you learn that being alive is a sin and that the whole world seems to be out to end your life as swiftly as possible in ways you cannot fathom, I'd like you to keep a straight face and not crack from the sudden shock, especially when you're cornered with no apparent way out. And I also doubt many of them can stomach seeing people die around them over and over again.

I'll admit it's annoying as hell to watch, but I think it's quite realistic overall, even if it's a bit overused.

Quote:
Seriouse looking anime with cheap solutions - the best way to describe it is for you to see 2nd episode of Mirai Nikki. It is really hard to take show seriously when you have rockets flying from under the skirt and motorcycle appearing from thin air =/
So, you find random phones being able to receive messages from the futures for no apparent reason to be serious?

Quote:
Big boss is an idiot - this is a stereotypical way of killing the bad guy. The bad guy can be really smart but once it comes to fighting someone important like main hero, they suddenly become the biggest idiots ever! The case I can't get over is Halibel VS Hitsugaya in Bleach. Before fraccions started to fight she told them to not understimate their opponents, guess what she did in her fight? Exactly the opposite and got her ass kicked!
I'm tempted to say, blame Hollywood for this. Seriously, find me any action movie i which the final boss looks like a badass, but gets his ass handed to him by the MC with relative ease because he boasts too much about how smart/strong he is and that the MC can never defeat him.

Quote:
Age - most of the anime characters are around 14 years old yet they act and get sexually involved like if they are 18 and more! Don't get me started on Air where main hero is 13 years old and gets sexually assulted by 18 year old Simca! Jus what is wrong with you Japan?! Is it that hard to make a character who is at lest 16-17 years old?
There are people like that, though. Nowadays, being a teenager at age 15 and NOT having had any form of sexual contact with the opposite sex is considered strange and abnormal by your peers. And a lot of teens have had actual sex before they reach Age of Consent.

If it involves a very young character, it's usually an underlying trauma that makes him/her the way he/she is, which also has relations to situations in real life: a lot of children become sexually active at very young age when they've been (sexually) abused themselves.

I see this more as a personal pet peeve than something that's wrong with an anime, or Japanese as a whole.