View Single Post
Old 2008-06-01, 13:49   Link #14
Happy_Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
I'd be interested to see the previous article relating to fansubbing that you noted in your first post, Matt, if only to find out what we're likely to expect from this "follow-up".
sticking my non-fansubber nose into this again I think that's a good point ... there was a long thread here at AS (still live) discussing the political bias/editorial policy of the AnimeNewsNetwork R1 anime review site; there were many examples of fansubs being denounced in editorial columns and forums on that site.

Many people (myself included) consider it obvious, that a site that receives ad dollars from R1 DVD distributors CANNOT say something nice about free anime available on the internet in a legal grey zone, that (in the minds of the R1 distributors) directly undercuts their perceived revenue. (Although in my case, I'd argue that fansubs distribute series that they'd never touch, and/or distribute series years before they ever see an R1 subtitle DVD release - like Gatchaman - but I digress...)

So: in the same vein, I fear that what's happening here is, a noose is being dangled in front of the fansubbers and they're asked to stick their neck in it.

While I don't wish to accuse anyone of ulterior motives I cannot imagine how a publication, that receives ad dollars from DVD distributors, will say something nice about the fansub network and still maintain the support of their advertising base.