View Single Post
Old 2006-04-06, 08:52   Link #43
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
No it wasn't...It was a simple comparison based on you asking what kind of comedy in One Piece is similiar to DBZ...And I gave it to you and yes it was general as it was intended to be...The fact that Chopper is short like Krillen was just another generality in comparison...No need to include Ussop cause If i wanted to I could have easily pulled Mr. Satan outta my hat (A lie a minute scardy-cat) to balance that 2 on 2 debate...The point was so clearly made and you trying to parse-hairs on Luffy not eating as sloppily as Goku is the biggest joke of all...I know he's your favorite character in anime, but your tying the noose yourself with that one...
Except that you can make general comparisons for just about any shonen jump in comparison to another yet you wouldn't say that two of them have the same comedy. That Chopper's height in one of his forms still not really a humorous moment much less the only factor of his character. And that Luffy still does more for comedy beyond simply eating alot. A general single similarity still doesn't equate to the same comedy. You said that DBZ had the same comedy as One Piece so usually when you say the comedy is the same for two shows that would have to be a distinct similarity or you are just simply going out of your way to make two different shows seem similar.
Quote:
When did I say he coulda just easily beat Cell?? All i said was that parts of that fight (as per his plan) was to show Gohan his moves...He had already made the decision prior to the fight that he was going to let Gohan defeat Cell...If you watched DBZ and didn't get all the clues, obvious and subtle that Goku fights for fun and/or to test his abilities before he gets serious you know nothing about his character at all...Furthermore (as for kid buu too) your confusing the fact that I said the villains were like the underdawgs (IMO) with me saying Goku was always clearly (technically) stronger than every villain...

Momma Mia! >_<;;;
You do realize that the idea behind the whole underdog term is an individual expected to have no chance in a fight on the basis that the person is weaker? That Goku enjoying fighting still doesn't mean that for every fight he's just simply holding back. But really, a person who holds back against another opponent is still pretty much a bit of a jerk since it's insulting to fight someone half ass. But I digress. You still haven't proved that Goku could have beaten Cell.
Quote:
- Main character has some sorta trump card (ichigo - that hollow guy inside him, naruto - the kyuubi)
- Main character attains new abilities and levels (ichigo - bankai, naruto - kyuubi transformations)
- Really strong characters fight (bleach - captains fighting, naruto - the sanins, hokage, akatuski, etc...)
- The whole ordeal of going away to train, and then coming back right in the nick of time to save the day, showing off some super new powers

My memory ain't really good, but i'm sure people who've read all 3 can think of more/better examples. I just listed some to get my message across. The formula that bleach and naruto follow are pretty typical stuff among these types of manga, but hey - it works.

It's why i like bleach and naruto over OP.
So you are saying that not having distinct Japanese Shonen Jump cliches is bad? And how much of One Piece have you seen?