View Single Post
Old 2008-06-13, 22:27   Link #138
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
This paragraph reached out and grabbed me as I was reading through this thread. [...]
I agree, basically.

Alto did not join SMS because of Ranka. He wanted to fly way before Ranka appeared on the scene. From very early on, we also had hints of him taking an interest in military aircraft, including the VF-25. When Macross 25 came under attack, he voluntarily flew to the battlefield without realizing Ranka too, was there. With or without Ranka, he would have hopped into that VF-25, there is no question.

Furthermore, he joined the SMS not because of Ranka, as both characters just barely knew each other's existence. Alto, as I have mentioned before, basically had no other choice. He had to join the SMS or the military, because the latter was threatening consequences if he did not join at least one organization. He simply made the best of all choices and wedged his way out of becoming a pilot for the brass.

He obviously did not need Ranka to tell him what to do.

As for Sheryl and Alto, their interactions are by far the most entertaining in Macross. Alto with Ranka is just... sadly boring. There is no life in that, not enough interaction. But with Sheryl, very energetic, upbeat and dare I say, fun.

- Tak