View Single Post
Old 2011-04-10, 02:33   Link #1086
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I should have made it clear that Kikuchi was actually joking at that point - it's pretty obvious from the tone he uses. [note to self: even if I post timestamps and make the commentaries available, most ppl here aren't going to try listening.] My point was that they were actually reminding us that Alto has A LOT on his plate for a 17 year old.

There's some stuff on "Alto being indecisive" in the ep 20 commentary, though I'm not sure how relevant that'll be to what you believe. It's not just Yoshino either, EVERYONE talks about how indecisive Alto is, whether in the commentaries, interviews, or on the radio show. Personally, I think they have a point, at least until 24/25 where Alto finally seems at peace with what he's decided to do.
That depends on how you define "indecisive". Being "indecisive" would mean to me that he cannot decide what to do and therefore is paralyzed by inaction. But that is not the Alto we are seeing.

I'd much rather say that he is "tossed around by fate", stuck in a situation where he has enormous pressure on him from different angles and is forging ahead as best as he can. In that sense Ranka leaving lifted one pressure from ( not breaking her heart further, although he loved Sheryl ), while putting another pressure on him ( wanting to go rescue Ranka, but being needed so much at home ).

I guess you can say that he was indecisive about confessing to Sheryl and even when he did, in episode 24, he botched the job somewhat by choosing a rather weak analogy. But except in deciding to go forward with his own feelings on the romantic front, in the latter episodes he did a rather excellent job in navigating the travails of the rest of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I'm pretty certain that the only last minute thing about the ending was whether to have Alto choose someone (i.e. put his choice into words) or not...
Yeah, I get that and that was what I was trying to express. The point is that the finale feels very differently from the preceding six episodes. There seemed to be a certain tone to the show and suddenly we got a very noticeable shift in gears.