Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-03-06, 15:41   Link #6421
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
I was really impressed when I saw "Stray Dog" (Nora inu). It is a movie about a Japanese cop whose pistol is stolen; the movie follows the attempts to track down the gun so it can't be used by criminals. In America such a plot is almost nonsensical, because if someone wants a gun, they can easily get one. Removing a single gun from the streets couldn't possibly have any effect. It would be like removing one bucket of water from the ocean so no one will get wet when swimming.
Indeed. There was another movie with a similar story called "Babel" where a local from Afghanistan (I think) shoots a tourist bus and accidentally hits a tourist. The original owner of the gun is tracked down to Japan, who had given the man his rifle as a gift for his kindness and service as a hunting guide. It would've been impossible to track down the owner if he was American instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
From what I can see, gun rights are fundamental to giving people a chance to solve serious problems themselves, but every now and then there would be a nut who create problems with it.

And the media tends to vilify the general gun-owning population for the crimes of the few, which in turn increases the number of gun ownership and gun crimes rather than reducing it.

There should be a "don't chamber a round/turn off the safety in a fit of rage" campaign. Then again, it might not work.
Guns are tools of war. No normal citizen should be allowed to carry a gun in times of peace. Whether or not it's for self-protection, guns are tools of murder no matter what anyone says about them. Citizens shouldn't be given the responsibility of killing someone to protect themselves and the police should be there. The constitution may say that the role of police forces is investigate crime and not prevent it, but I think that's wrong. Police forces are there to protect the citizens, not clean up the mess and leave the corpses in a morgue.