View Single Post
Old 2011-05-28, 16:25   Link #75
miketyson

quuchan: thanks. Would Menma's mom's remarks be consistent with a theory like: "Menma's mom has a pretty good guess at what might cause Menma's ghost to appear and ask Jinta for help. She thinks it's a bit cute the way Menma's old friends are trying to help out, but they'd have to know the things they're doing aren't what Menma's ghost actually came back for?"

cyth: Before this episode I was really loving it -- it was legitimately good, kept me wanting to find out what was really going on. It had the extra hook that it was that rare show that I could mostly follow in raw form -- even with my vestigial language skills -- and was also pretty good. Usually it's one or the other: I can follow it without subs but it's not good enough to hold my interest, or it's good but I'm basically lost w/out subs.

After this episode it's reminding me of what I thought of Planetes, which was a show I could intellectually observe was really well-made in all kinds of ways but somehow still left me feeling flat and unengaged; I could see it was good and well made but it just didn't have any magic for me.

The change in outlook from this episode is that before this episode it seemed like there'd be a lot of "big things" left to happen -- is Menma a ghost or Jinta's imagination? Poppo faking his travels? does Jinta have a disease? was Menma's family abusive? -- but the way this episode went it seemed to close the book on most of those "big possibilities".

I'm still quite curious to see how it all wraps up, but after ep7 the show seems a lot smaller-scale and down-to-earth than before, and that's taking some of the excitement out of it for me.