View Single Post
Old 2011-06-02, 09:31   Link #106
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
And as a connection to my above statement, this begs the ultimate question: how MUCH does he feel for his sister that her very absence causes him such feelings of loneliness that the void can't be filled by a combination of everyone else?
Well, it doesn't have to be all that much, honestly. It's not easy at all to just replace a loved one or any given member of your family, no matter how full your life is. In this case, because of the way she went about it, it could produce a feeling of abandonment in addition to loneliness. But again, it's not like it's "loneliness because no one's there for me", it's "even though I'm surrounded by people, part of me was still lonely because I missed you". This is what it means to love someone, and I don't even mean romantic love; that person has a worth that can't ultimately be substituted for anyone or anything else. Unless someone's really estranged from their own family, I imagine most of us feel the same way about our parents and siblings, and that doesn't mean we love them "in that way".

So I don't think either of the options you proposed is necessarily correct, and I think the whole shipping thing is way overblown. Kirino has a unique, irreplaceable value to him because she's his one and only precious sister. It may be more than that too, but I think we only really need to concede that much to explain as much as we've been shown so far.

(I think a lot of people are really asking "how can he love her that much even if she's done nothing to be so worthy of his love" (and other people are "more worthy"), but I don't think that's how love works, especially when family is involved. This idea that he should have just "gotten over" Kirino's departure and moved on in his life is ultimately minimizing/negating that Kyousuke should love her at all. Again "love" here not in the romantic sense, but as a strong, irreplaceable bond. And despite all the turmoil and craziness, they do share a bond. That's not so easy to break.)