View Single Post
Old 2013-02-02, 09:21   Link #71
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I want to add to the whole "ends justify the means" thing. I think anime often creates villains whose end goal might actually be something we can sympathize with. After all this creates a morally gray area and it's certainly better than the mustache twirling villain.

In Makishima's case yes his goal of overthrowing the Sybil system is something I can agree with. I think the system is obviously wrong as demonstrated by Makishima's actions and other instances in the story.

However is Makishima's actions the only way to overthrow the sybil system? Makishima (and his partner) have been shown to be geniuses. The only think they can come up with is this type of violence? I just can't sympathize with that. You might say evil to fight evil but there are certainly innocent people caught up in all this.

In fact while the sybil system is wrong I imagine when it was created it was probably also created with the purest intentions to improve the country.

No I don't have an idea of how Makishima could have went about this a different way, but then I am no genius.
There's a simple explanation for this. Makishima isn't trying to destroy the Sybill systems for reasons that the layperson would regard as heroic. People had previously postulated that Makishima might not actually CARE if anything was left standing after the Sybill system fell down, and they were pretty much spot on. Makishima just happens to find the system to be distasteful. I think it's extremely unlikely that he opposes the system based on any kind of mainstream humanistic/human rights basis.

"Ends justify the means" isn't really a good way to describe Makishima's actions either. Quite frankly, helping to provide cyborg hunter guy a steady supply of *game* to hunt and kill in secret isn't exactly a revolutionary activity, and it didn't contribute anything to this latest large scale operation. In fact, the ending of this episode makes one wonder if this operation is less of some kind of end run plan on Makishima's part, or him helping to set things off, then tagging along as the hacker guy and his buddies indulge in their curiosity about the Sybill system.

I will say though. As fundamentally fascinating/scary Makishima is, I can't help but think of him as being a bit of a hipster. What with his "E-books are too plebeian" spiel. I can't but think when Choe actually gets a paper back of the books Makishima suggested, Makishima will lecture him again about how he should have gotten the incredibly rare first edition printing, since current day printings lack *character*