View Single Post
Old 2012-02-15, 09:34   Link #27865
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao Ni Ma View Post
It could very well be that she was pregnant with one of the officers kid instead of Kinzo's. There's a chance that everything Kinzo said was heavily biased or just plain wrong. That Beatrice never reciprocated his feelings, that she died giving birth to a child that wasn't even his.
Except Italians are not very likely to be blonde-haired and blue-eyed any moreso than Japanese are. It's very much an "all Europeans look the same" kind of thing that seems endemic to the Japanese occidentalism fantasy (feels weird when the inaccurate foreign romanticism is on the other foot, doesn't it?).

Are there blonde, blue-eyed, fair-skinned Italians? Yes, more likely there than in non-European populations. But it's still very uncommon. If Beatrice had been Norwegian or Pommeranian or Estonian, that's another matter entirely. Granted, perhaps Beatrice Castiglioni's mother was German or something... but that doesn't explain Beatrice-2 anyway.

So even if she was pregnant by another Italian, the chance of the child being blonde seems pretty slim (also, she would probably have freckles, which would've made Beatrice-2 pretty cute I think, but I digress...). It's very clear that the sole reason it happened is because Ryukishi wanted an Italian witch named Beatrice to go with his Divine Comedy references and by God she was going to be blonde whether it made any sense or not.

Given that nobody seems to make anything whatsoever of Yasu, I think it's pretty clear she looks very ordinary for a Japanese person. Which almost certainly means she has black hair and Japanese features. In other words, once again, absolutely no physical evidence that would prove to her at a glance that she's somebody special. I mean, if she looked vaguely European, or hell, looked like Kinzo or his relatives in some way, at least that would be a hint. As it is, nobody seems to remark on this at all. No one says "Gee, Kanon kinda looks like Krauss did at his age" or "Huh, Shannon's nose is a little unusually-shaped, don't you think?"
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote