View Single Post
Old 2007-10-07, 19:58   Link #7
Kirarakim

Well I voted perfect 10 but that is probably a little over zealous. Let's just say the show gets a perfect 10 for my own enjoyment. It would not get a perfect 10 for quality (more like an 8 or 9).

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I actually think the episodes before 8 were a little weak (except ep 3 I love that one). They were fun but they lacked substance. Episode 8 was what got me into the show. I love shows that start out one way and develop into something else. Not that Gurren Lagann was ever the most deep show but it was still a lot deeper than I initially expected and I loved that.

A lot of Gurren Lagann fans were mecha fans to begin with. I am not. Sometimes I might enjoy a mecha show but I hardly ever enjoy the mecha aspect. In Gurren Lagann I loved both the mecha aspect and the story aspect. I now want to own a Gurren Lagann and a King Kittan so the show probably deserves a 10 just for making me want to collect mecha models.

Although it was definitely the characters that made me really love Gurren Lagann. I loved them all from hero to villain. I loved that the villains were a lot more grey then black. And I loved that even the heroes weren't perfect. It's true some of the minor characters could have used better development but I was extremely happy with the development for Simon, Viral, Nia, Yoko, Rossiu, and Kittan. I also loved seeing Simon grow up throughout the series (I am sucker for those type of stories). And although Kamina didn't have the best development he had to be one of the most memorable and inspirational characters ever.

Bottom line, the series just had a whole lot of heart in it. At times it could be corny, but it was the inspiring type of corniness. It was cliche but it had an over-the- topness that made it not seem cliche at all.

I wouldn't say Gurren Lagann is the best show of 2007 (major competition from Denno Coil and Terra e). However, I think I can say it was the most enjoyable show of the year (with a lackluster fall season I don't expect any show to take its place).

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2007-10-07 at 21:36.